Those of you who are unsure if the Call of Duty Ghosts Onslaught DLC is really worth the price, this weekend may be your opportunity to test it out yourself. The DLC will be free to play all weekend via Xbox Live.
Beginning tomorrow, Friday March 21st, players will get the chance to download the free trial version of Onslaught via their Xbox One's and Xbox 360's. The trail will end on Monday, March 24th, however, so make sure not to miss the opportunity. Three days access to the DLC, compared to the normal price of $15, is a nice offer indeed.
Onslaught contains a total of four multiplayer maps, along with a assault/sniper rifle hybrid weapon, the Maverick. Squads Mode, a four-player co-op mode against bot opponents, can be played on these maps. Also, Extinction Mode's first of four episodes, "Nightfall", is featured here as well. Further details on these maps/episodes include:
- Fog - A small to medium sized map set alongside the banks of a murky lake, paying homage to classic horror films. If a player finds and completes a specific Field Order, they become Halloween slasher Michael Myers.
- BayView - A close-quarters map set on a coastal Californian boardwalk containing seaside gift stores and an aquarium. Players must be wary of the artillery strike enemies can call in from a Naval Destroyer anchored just offshore.
- Containment - A compact map set in a war-torn Mexican village, with a dried-out riverbed. The action centres on the remains of a small bridge holding a hi-jacked truck filled with leaking radioactive material. Also features elevated rooftop vantage points.
- Ignition - An aging Florida space launch facility, inspired by the Scrapyard map from Modern Warfare 2. Players can trigger rocket test engine sites, sending large fireballs into the arena.
- Extinction Episode 1 - Nightfall introduces a narrative driven by two new characters and featuring two all-new alien species and an exclusive weapon.
For now, however, only Xbox One and Xbox 360 players will be given access to the map pack trial. All other platforms will get their chance at experiencing the trial at a later date.