Want to make Left 4 Dead PC assault you with more infected hordes, less boss infected, near-impossible difficulty, and zero AI or co-op players?
Of course not! Which is why modder Doku caught our attention this week: the realism mod that Doku has cooked up adds more realistic recoil and health, and essentially turns Left 4 Dead's "infected" into classic zombies by making them slower and immune to all but headshots. Unfortunately, it also seeks to scare the player by removing AI and human teammates from the campaign.
Naturally, this is cause for outrage here at Co-Optimus, but before we light our torches and sharpen the pitchforks, we'd like to know what you think. Have you tried the mod? Does it interest you at all?
Click the "Read More" link for a list of tweaks, and hit the "Source" link to see a video of the mod in action.
- New weapon sounds (Most made by Doku but with others grabbed from various soundpacks).
- New weapon scripts - Adjusted accuracy, recoil, rate of fire, clip sizes etc.
- Weapon melee less effective.
- No survivor bots.
- Slower survivors and zombies - to change the pace of the game and make it feel more tense.
- Higher density of zombies on the maps, more frequent hordes/ambushes.
- No special zombies (apart from tweaked tanks for the finales).
- Headshots only to kill zombies (apart from molotovs / pipebombs etc).
- Increased damage when hit from behind - you must always be aware of you surroundings, don't turn you back on that unchecked room
- No in-game music - You have to indentify incoming hordes by the sounds of the zombies.
- All maps tweaked (apart from part 4 of the blood harvest campaign)
- Removed weapon,ammo & health pack spawns from safe rooms. Weapons and health packs are now limited and scattered around the maps, so you have to search for them. There are no ammo points in the map so if your primary gun runs out you'll need to find another. However everyone still has infinate pistol (although with smaller clip and less accuracy).
- HUD completely revised - It now only shows your own health, no crosshair/inventory or teammate statistics (If you equip first aid then you can see your teammates health when you aim at them).
- Added in-game laser dot - Useful for close to medium range. This emphasises the sniper rifle as a profficient long range weapon as its the only gun with an effective long range aiming mechanism.
- Removed flashlight - This adds much more tension to darker areas of the map, especially when you need to search for weapons or first aid... Be careful in the dark...
- Various other smaller tweaks.......