One month after its release, Assassin's Creed Unity is finally nearing a state of competent playability. The stealth-based action game was absolutely riddled with bugs and framerate issues when it first appeared on shelves, but Ubisoft sought to make good as quickly as possible by providing players with a full list of known issues and then working to remedy them as punctually as possible. When that was deemed not enough to convince gamers that the company was not, in fact, Satan incarnate, they then discontinued their season pass program, offering compensation in the hopes that it would sate their customers until Unity was in a satisfactory state.
This fourth patch, appropriately titled "Patch 4", looks to finally put the game into the state the developers originally intended. For transparency's sake, Ubisoft has been very clear about the issues with the game and their attempts to fix them. This specific patch has not yet been detailed in full, but a list of top priority issues have been provided that will likely be its focus:
- Game crashes after loading your save: We’re devoting a lot of attention to this one and we have a workaround (try taking your system offline and reload your save, you should be able to play offline). Most instances of this crash will be eliminated in Patch 4, but if you do still encounter this issue after the Patch is applied please file a Customer Support ticket to help us identify what your issue is so we can create a fix for it.
- Error CE-34878-0: Similar to the crash mentioned above, the game freezes or crashes after loading your save. This particular error message is exclusive to PS4. This issue should be resolved in Patch 4.
- Initiates legacy recognition issues: Many of these issues have been resolved, but we’ve noted that it could still take several days for all of your progress from past games to be fully updated. If after five days you still don’t see your progress accurately reflected on the site, please file a ticket with Customer Support so we can more closely examine this issue.
- Companion App issues: We’ve just released a new patch for the Companion App, so be sure to update to release 1.04 if you have not already. This patch addresses the following issues:
- Restoration of lost Premiums
- Fixed synchronization issues for first-time users and at login
- Fixed the "no assassin" issue in the tutorial
- Fixed missions with 100% odds of success that could fail
- Fixed an issue with lost progress - simply resync with the HD game and load your save, this will synchronize your online progression data
Curiously, there are a couple items that seemed to be missing from the notes, so I decided to track them down and list them here:
- Fixed: Dumpster fire that had overtaken the QA department.
- Known Issue: Todd from Marketing.
- Known Issue: Gillette tie-in razor mascot has escaped into the ventilation system. We can feel his ever-watchful gaze as we compile these patch notes. Please send help.
- Known Issue: Optimization team revealed to be pack of wild dogs. We're honestly pretty impressed with how well they've done.