One of the more highly anticipated titles revealed during E3 last year was Bloodborne, a Dark Souls-esc, third-person action/adventure game, with a gothic (Van Helsing-like) setting. At first, it looked like it might've been a single-player only title, but now we've received word that co-op features will be included.
We've got information regarding the game's co-op capabilities, all detailed by the alpha manual that is now available. There might be some changes to some of the item names in the Western version of the game, but you'll get the idea once you read through the co-op features listed below. Just remember that the game itself will be exclusive to the PS4. That being said, here are some of the features we can expect from the alpha:
- Communication with other players is done via a gesture menu.
- Four items are available to players during the alpha test: a “Bell of Dream Summoning,” a “Small Bell of Resonating” a “Blank Ammunition of Farewell” and “Memoir“
- By using the Bell of Dream Summoning and Small Bell of Resonating you can play cooperatively with up to three players. The one summoning will be the host, while the others will be guests.
- You start co-op gameplay as a host by using the Bell of Dream Summoning from your inventory menu. An effect will appear at your character’s feet.
- When a player responding to the call is found the bell starts resonating and co-op gameplay will begin
- You indicate that you wish to take part in co-op as a guest by using the Small Bell of Resonating in your inventory menu. An effect will appear at your character’s feet.
- The bell will start to resonate as soon as a host is found, and you’ll be transferred to his world after a short while.
- The effect at the player’s feet will appear only when standing still. All co-op requests can be canceled by using the appropriate item again.
- Co-op gameplay ends (and all players will return to their own world) if any of the following conditions is met: The area boss is defeated, the host or the guest dies or connection to the host is lost.
- The host can also shoot the Blank Ammunition of Farewell to send a guest back to his own world.
- You can use a memoir by combining words and sentences, and place it in the ground. Messages will appear for other players to read.
- You can check the history of the memoirs you’ve left up to any point.
- You can also check the log of all the memoirs you’ve read up to any point and their evaluation.
- By pressing circle (X in the western version) you can read memoirs on the ground close to you.
- You can rate the memoirs you read good or bad by pressing left or right on the D-pad while reading them.
- Other players that are playing in the same location can appear as ghosts.
- Graves will appear where another player has died. By pressing circle (or X in the western version) you can watch a replay of their death.
We'd also like to mention that the official Bloodborne Twitter account stated that the online options that will be present in the beta are only a part of the features that will be included. More will be revealed over time for the final version of the game.
Bloodborne is scheduled for release this coming March 24th.