The Co-Optimus staff spent a good chunk of this past weekend enjoying F.E.A.R. 3. The game not only offers a two player cooperative campaign, but two separate co-op survival modes in Contractions and F**king Run. During our play time we discovered slowly began to gel and learn some tips and tricks to surviving longer and longer.
The first trick, as Kat learned, was make sure you set your controls the way you want so you can switch weapons. The second trick which I learned is, if you see Alma, for the love of God don't shoot her, that doesn't make her happy. The final trick which Andrew discovered is more of a strategy, if your friends are down and there's a giant wall of death behind them, just jump in the hole and live another day. (This actually isn't a good strategy, you lose.)
After you're controls are set, Alma is ignored, and you man up for your team - here's some other tips to help you on your co-op way.
1. Maximize your score by fulfilling multiple challenge requirements, playing on higher difficulties, and completing each level as fast as you can. Use your special abilities often and combine the challenges to make sure you maximize each kill.
2. Exploration is crucial – search each level extensively for hidden ammo caches, psychic link bodies, and the all-important Alma doll. The psychic links and Alma dolls appear in random locations, so make sure you fully explore on each playthrough.
3. When playing co-op, psychic links can be shared or stolen. If you’re looking to set an inpidual high score, steal them. If you want to set a team high score, share them. Even though you only get 750 points for psychic links, since you both receive the reward it adds a total of 1,500 to your team score.
4. Ranking-up improves various stats including things like ammo capacity, health, and slow-mo. Maximizing your Rank is essential to play on the Insane difficulty. Replaying a level with a higher rank also makes it easier to set a high score and compete for the top position on the leaderboards.
5. The ranks are determined by your total score and the perks are universal in main campaign, coop, and multiplayer. If you are having trouble in one mode, go spend some time in another to rank up and then try again.
6. The Arc Beam weapon reflects off of walls and floors to hit nearby enemies, and can hit more than one at a time – very useful when Armacham Soldiers are hiding behind cover.
7. The Phase Caster is one of the toughest enemies in F.E.A.R. 3. Make sure you kill him as soon as possible. The Phase Caster will keep calling in reinforcements as you take them out.
8. The Scavengers can be difficult for Fettel to defeat. One method to quickly dispatch them is to levitate the enemy, get close, and push melee for the instant kill. At the same time, if there are multiple Scavengers, you can always suspend one while killing another with the stun blast.
9. In multiplayer mode ‘F**king Run!,’ sending a teammate ahead with a Riot Shield is a good way to add an extra layer of protection to the rest of the team.
10. Also in ‘F**king Run!’ multiplayer mode, the slide tackle is your strongest asset. Not only does it keep you moving forward, but it also takes out enemies.
11. Plan ahead when playing multiplayer mode ‘Contractions.’ Storing all of your ammo on the top level of your safe house will take longer, but pays off in later waves.
12. The “We'll Try Again Tomorrow” achievement / trophy is easiest to get in the first 3 waves of The Commute multiplayer map.
These tips and tricks were provided directly from the Day One Studios team!
What tips and tricks do you have for F.E.A.R. 3?