Hammerwatch Brings Dungeon Slaughtering Back to the Masses
Think Gauntlet with slightly cuter pixel characters
While watching hammers might be an exciting hobby, indie dev team Jochum Skoglund and Niklas Myrberg have something a bit more flashy in mind with their upcoming title. Hammerwatch is inspired by classic arcade games such as Gauntlet, providing players with dungeons to crawl through, multiple character classes, and swarms of enemies to crush. The best news is that in addition to single player mode, Hammerwatch will support online, local and LAN-based co-op games for up to four people!
The central focus of Hammerwatch is combat, as the trailer so subtly suggests, but it isn't a mindless button masher. Secrets are numerous and puzzles require both brain power and teamwork to complete. There won't be an inventory system, skill trees, or traditional loot gathering. Instead, characters will grab upgrades by purchasing them from NPCs, meaning everyone can focus on killing things instead of tweaking stats or alphabetizing potions. Hammerwatch will also ship with modding tools to allow players to make custom levels and campaigns.
More features to get excited about:
- 12 levels divided between four acts
- 4 different classes with unique features and skills
- Several different monsters, all with different skills and abilities
- 4 large bosses which require more strategy than just hacking
- Survival mode with waves of charging enemies
- Four difficulty levels to choose from, including Hardcore Mode
- Controller/gamepad support