Gears of War 2

Discussion about co-op games, co-op board games, and more!
111 posts • Page 3 of 61, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Postby Garand » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:55 pm

justabaldguy wrote:I don't know the name of the map. It's a village with cars in the streets and a river through the middle. Two two-story caddy-corner houses offer good sniping abilities. The map is in good shape, not in disarray. We did well backing into one room and sniping across the river with the others on the staircase guarding the front.

I think you're talking about the one with the huge hole in the intersection? Emergence Day or something like that?

we started on River also but once the waves start throwing maulers, grinders, boomers, and bloodmounts all in one wave those houses become deathtraps without perfect teamwork.

but yeah i was talking about the map with the hole in the intersection. above the theater a hammer of dawn or mortar will spawn and really help clearing out the map quickly.
Husband, Father, Gamer.
http://www.gamersvantage.com

Garand
Johnny 5

Postby Garand » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:59 pm

DjinniMan wrote:Quick question for you Horde mode folks. My son and I played Horde mode, just us, and it took us several hours to get past level 10. It was brutal! The question is, does the game scale numbers and difficulty of the Horde based on the number of people playing? It seemed pretty tough for just two people, and I come here and you all made it way past level 10! Maybe I just suck, eh? :)

I don't think it scales per players in the match. We had a hard time with 3 players but adding just one more player really helped with the difficulty of the waves. Seemed like the 10s were the hardest waves.
Husband, Father, Gamer.
http://www.gamersvantage.com

Garand
Johnny 5

Postby Fivespot » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:42 pm

Yeah, the last waves before 50 are quite challenging. Great coop mode imo!!
Fivespot
Johnny 5

Postby hedgehogaj » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:04 pm

It doesn't scale with players, but it is designed for 5 people. I've gotten to level 22 with only 2 people on Day One above the arcade (it provides slightly more cover than the theater). One on the side with the stairs defending with mostly short/mid ranged high impact weapons (and strategic shield planting), the other on the far side using the torque bow and sniper rifle that spawn there. We were doing well on River also until I miscalculated how high up the ramp I need to plant the shield to stop the beast riders.

I also recommend not playing split screen. While I applaud the developers for adding the functionality, you loose too much visual area in a 3rd person game to play something as chaotic as horde mode. I was snuck up upon more than once by something I should I have seen coming.

Random tips:
Maulers have sensitive feet.
Beasts go insane if you kill the rider first.
Shields can only be kicked down from the front.
GMT - 5:00
hedgehogaj
Johnny 5

Postby Mrxknown_JG » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:07 pm

Also, remember the difficulty can be scaled per person from Easy to Hard

Availability Eastern Standard Time: Mon-Thurs (None), Friday (Evening) Sat-Sun (anytime)
Looking for Co-op: Borderlands (lvls=11, 15), L4D (co-op, vs), Halo 3: ODST (campaign, firefight), Saints Row 2, Halo:Reach
Mrxknown_JG
Proxy

Postby xxW4R EAGL3xx » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:55 pm

If anyone wants to play horde just message me.
xxW4R EAGL3xx
Johnny 5

Postby justabaldguy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:05 pm

hedgehogaj wrote:Random tips:
Maulers have sensitive feet.
Beasts go insane if you kill the rider first.
Shields can only be kicked down from the front.

Brilliant! Didn't know that about the Maulers. I learned elsewhere the shields should be placed facing in (towards where you'll be), not outward, for that very reason you mentioned. Great tip, highly recommend using that one.

I'd also add use your grenades like mines, especially if you're going to hole up somewhere and defend, or if your back is exposed (no one watching you).
When I'm down I drive the hearse.
Usual game times: Evenings around 7PM CST, and weekends from 1-3
Current co-op goals: BORDERLANDS 2!!
justabaldguy
Decepticon

Postby xxW4R EAGL3xx » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:18 pm

Brilliant! Didn't know that about the Maulers. I learned elsewhere the shields should be placed facing in (towards where you'll be), not outward, for that very reason you mentioned. Great tip, highly recommend using that one.

I'd also add use your grenades like mines, especially if you're going to hole up somewhere and defend, or if your back is exposed (no one watching you).

Yeah, at first I wondered why people online put them down "backwards." But then I noticed why.
xxW4R EAGL3xx
Johnny 5

Postby Ryo_Strife » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:19 pm

If anyone is up for some horde add me to friends. I just went and bought the flashback maps yesterday and just bringing back memories of those sleepless nights. One of my buddies was saying how easy doing horde was on Tyro Station now I want to give it a shot.
Gameplay OVER graphics. That's the way it was and that's the way it should be now.
Ryo_Strife
Lil' Robot

Postby Darth Lupus » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:04 pm

Like it has been said by other I am more the willing to play horde with anyone else, ( have tried it once split screen with a friend and found it quite enjoyable) Now I would like to try it with more then just other person with me. So feel free to send me a friend invite. (I have all ready sent some out myself)
Also be warned that I am not that very good and on maps do have a habit to getting lost :oops:
My tag is Darth Lupus
PSN:Darth_Lupus
XBL: Darth Lupus
"Get me a poodle, a bullhorn, and four nuns. I now how to grab their attention." - Deadpool
Tears in the rain is such a waste. - BIf Naked.
Darth Lupus
Johnny 5

Postby justabaldguy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:51 pm

Always good to meet new people! I got Darth's FR and was wondering who he was, glad I checked here before I dismissed it!
justabaldguy
Decepticon

Postby Ryo_Strife » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:20 pm

I'm usually playing horde or in a private match with bots. I'll send you a FR later on. Don't worry about getting lost in horde just look for the trail of dead locust and listen for Carmine saying "SHET YEAH!" and thats where everyone is.
Gameplay OVER graphics. That's the way it was and that's the way it should be now.
Ryo_Strife
Lil' Robot

Postby X360LHP » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:02 pm

Greatest game.
Perfect engine. And, Marcus Fênix f*** everyone !!!
X360LHP
Sprocket

Postby TheCAPITAL » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:04 pm

I enjoy GOW2 alot, and i'm 33!! Im trying to get all the achievements for it. Send me a FR if you are trying to do the same. I got alot done but need help for the rest.
TheCAPITAL
Sprocket

Postby oleschoolgamer » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:58 pm

Hey guys,
If anyone's playing around 10-midnight PST, add me to your FR. I have some friends but we never play at the same time. It's tough playing horde on a public forum because most people quit after wave 30 if that.

tag: oleschoolgamer
oleschoolgamer
Lil' Robot

Postby rinichanraar » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:26 pm

Is anyone up for trying to play Horde mode on Hardcore or Insane? I've tried it a few times on Insane, but it's ridiculously tough. I think I'd have to have a team of superhuman gamers to finish 50 on that difficulty setting.

Lately, I've been having a lot of fun doing waves 1-10 on the Flashback Map Pack maps. I've been doing splitscreen co-op with one other person, and it's a lot of fun running around because the first ten waves are always such a breeze.
My coolometer reading dangerously exceeds 50 megafonzies.

XBL: rinichanraar
PSN: rinichanraar
WII: 3003806859071263
rinichanraar
Lil' Robot

Postby bapenguin » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:37 pm

rinichanraar wrote:Is anyone up for trying to play Horde mode on Hardcore or Insane? I've tried it a few times on Insane, but it's ridiculously tough. I think I'd have to have a team of superhuman gamers to finish 50 on that difficulty setting.

Lately, I've been having a lot of fun doing waves 1-10 on the Flashback Map Pack maps. I've been doing splitscreen co-op with one other person, and it's a lot of fun running around because the first ten waves are always such a breeze.

I always play on Harcore, that's how I role. I'll be on tonight probably around 7:30 Eastern till 9 or so.
Owner and Managing Editor
Co-Optimus.com
bapenguin
Site Admin

Postby justabaldguy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:08 am

Jacinto, Security and River (in that order) are my favorite/preferred maps for Horde. What about the rest of y'all? Any good tips/tricks to share?
justabaldguy
Decepticon

Postby Darth Lupus » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:28 am

While I don't have a preference I would sometime try out Fuel Station. IMO on that map would be the top of the station. Once you get on top of there there is only two ways of getting to you, the stairs in the back and the elevator in the middle. The only draw back is that there is a mortar that spawns away from that position.
PSN:Darth_Lupus
XBL: Darth Lupus
"Get me a poodle, a bullhorn, and four nuns. I now how to grab their attention." - Deadpool
Tears in the rain is such a waste. - BIf Naked.
Darth Lupus
Johnny 5

Postby Biohzrd451 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:03 am

Here's a tip: Aim for the nerve stem, and put it down for good.
Would you like to know more?

Fresh cookie if you get the reference.

I enjoy Jancito mainly because they only have one way in and it can be held down with shields and a mulcher/mortar.
http://bio-hazardousblogs.blogspot.com/

"Let me be your sledgehammer"
Biohzrd451
Proxy

PreviousNext

Return to Game Discussion