[Playstation Network] - The Expendables 2

Discussion about co-op games, co-op board games, and more!
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby Cubninja » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:58 pm

Link: Co-Optimus Entry

Please keep all discussion of The Expendables 2 for the Playstation Network in this thread.
While on the forums I type hard and fast. Please don't hold my typos against me. I'm trying to use my meager powers for good. If my advice gets you killed, I apologize in advance.
Cubninja
Site Admin

Postby BigBadBob113 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:29 pm

Sooooo, who else will be snagging this on day one?
BigBadBob113
Proxy

Postby Macrocephalus » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:22 pm

Just started playing this with Bob, and I gotta say, it's crazy fun! I don't think it'd be that great solo — there are a lot of rough edges and weird quirks to the game that would probably stick out more if you played on your own — but with a friend, it winds up being all about the over-the-top action, cheesy 80s-action-movie cliches and hilariously bad dialogue.

Spoiler: show
For example: at one point you destroy a tank by picking up huge shells from a crate, THROWING them at the tank and then shooting them to blow them up!

Oh, and also the tag-team healing, because the more people who heal a guy who's down at once, the faster he gets back to his feet.

Even though it's obviously a shooter through and through, each character definitely plays differently. I found myself gravitating towards Caesar, the automatic shotgun- and RPG-wielding Terry Crews character, and Bob preferred Dolph Lundgren's sniper rifle- and shorty-shotgun-armed Gunner. Yang, the guy with the throwing knives and the smoke grenades, is pretty cool, too. We both really felt Arnold Schwarzenneger should've been in there, though. That would've made the game complete.

Anyway, although I bet it winds up being the weakest of the PSN Play games in a game reviewer sense, it's also sure to be the cheesiest — in a good way. If you like shooting hordes of enemies with a friend and wading into ambush after ambush together, I bet you'll have a good time with it. So is anyone else getting it? Maybe we can get a full team going at some point!
Macrocephalus
HK-47

Postby BigBadBob113 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:45 pm

I really loved that you are able to switch between characters right in the middle of the game via the directional buttons, just like how you do it in the X-Men Legends/ Marvel: Ultimate Alliance games. This is important because certain characters are necessary to perform certain actions (blow up a gate, cut through a fence, etc.) So one of the active players has to take control of the character with the necessary skill while the other players protect him.

Like Mac said, it's got a few flaws but the cheesy sillyness, along with great co-op gameplay, makes for a solid game that I am really enjoying. Also, just wanted to say that the voice chat and online play is pretty much flawless...voice quality was perfect and there was no lag to be seen.
BigBadBob113
Proxy

Return to Game Discussion