Need for Speed Rivals - play with friend?

Discussion about co-op games, co-op board games, and more!
6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby GrumpyM » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:31 am

Hello Co-op fans,

My bud and I both bought NFS Rivals for PS4, and we are loving it. When you boot the game, it puts you into a public game with 5 strangers. Using Autodrive (the friend/matchmaking interface in the menus) we've been able to create a "Friends" session and bomb around together, racing and arresting AIs. It's just the two of us in the game, and the AI doesn't really hold up to real people - the fenzy of 6 RL players is awesome when playing alone!

However, what we really want is to be able to join, with both of us with 4 other public people in the same game. We haven't been able to figure out how to do this! When we join a public game, they are *always* full. There is never a game with 2 spots open for us to join together. We've tried creating a "Friends" game and then making it public, but no one else ever gets joined and it ends up just being the two of us.

Anyone know how to get into a public game as a pair?

GrumpyM
Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Even with the limitation above - this is an awesome coop game! The experience of driving around together as cops trying to work together to bring down racers is really intense and a ton of fun. Very highly recommended! It would be even better if the two of us could get into a public game together - hence this post.
EDIT:
GrumpyM
Sprocket

Postby kevinclough » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:29 pm

That is cool that NFS Rivals has a co-op mode. I've been waiting for reviews before I consider getting this game. I found the difficulty of past games in the series too hard and frustrating but co-op sounds like a great solution. Can you still unlock things when playing in this mode or do you have to do things in single player to make progress?

I don't have an answer for your question, but have you tried queue syncing where you both try to "Find a game" at the exact same time? I have had luck with Journey to play with my friend by the two of us ending the first level at the exact same time and then it puts us together.

I'm going to send you a PSN friend invite and hopefully we can play some PS4 games together.
I am Hogwild333 on PSN and XBL
kevinclough
Lil' Robot

Postby GrumpyM » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:17 pm

Cool - I'll look for the invite.

We'll try the queue syncing - but it seems crazy to have to resort to that, and you'd have to get quite lucky. Unfortunately since there are only 6 players in a game (and we need 2 spots), it seems like it would be pretty rare.

As for the questions about co-op - it's a really interesting design. You essentially progress on your own, and I don't see too much of a "progression" curve that would prevent you from playing with your friends. Anyone can join any event at any time, and your progression (earning speed points, and doing "quests") is unique to you. The differences in cars and upgrades doesn't seem *that* crazy either - meaning you don't need to be at the exact same progression point either. I am not that far along - so many the gap gets greater - but right now, after a weekend, my bud and I were able to play together and have a blast even though we had different amounts of solo playtime.

Good luck!
GrumpyM
Sprocket

Postby kevinclough » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:39 pm

When you do two players it sounds like it is against all AI so that counts as the Co-Optimus definition of co-op. How does it work when there are six humans playing together? If it is 2 human cops against 4 human racers then it falls under competitive (but still probably lots of fun).
I am Hogwild333 on PSN and XBL
kevinclough
Lil' Robot

Postby GrumpyM » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:47 am

THe way this game works is it's just an open world, all the time. There are other cars in it - most are computer controlled, but up to six are players. They can do whatever they want - race against each other, against the AI, etc - racing against someone else is as simple as just driving by and when you see them you issue a challenge by pressing L1. THey accept, and the race is on. :)

So - when you pllay with just two of you, the rest of the world is populated with AI - but to the games credit it is often difficult to tell them apart.
GrumpyM
Sprocket

Postby CharlesFoty » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:01 am

I think the players are computer controlled and we do not have choice to choose them. I have read something like this. Will definitely get back to you if I get some information regarding it.
CharlesFoty
Sprocket

Return to Game Discussion