[Playstation Network] - Trine 2

Discussion about co-op games, co-op board games, and more!
10 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby ShadokatRegn » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:19 am

Link: Co-Optimus Entry

Please keep all discussion of Trine 2 for the Playstation Network in this thread.
That's what she said!

PSN - ShadokatRegn
ShadokatRegn
Johnny 5

Postby BigBadBob113 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:23 am

I have to say, Trine 2 is superior to Trine in almost every way. It looks even more amazing, sounds even more amazing, and the online co-op make it super de-duper amazing! I enjoyed Trine pretty well enough when I played through it on my own, but playing through Trine 2 with two other players makes for a much more enjoyable experience.
BigBadBob113
Proxy

Postby Macrocephalus » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:28 am

BigBadBob113 wrote:I have to say, Trine 2 is superior to Trine in almost every way. It looks even more amazing, sounds even more amazing, and the online co-op make it super de-duper amazing! I enjoyed Trine pretty well enough when I played through it on my own, but playing through Trine 2 with two other players makes for a much more enjoyable experience.

Yeah, I heartily second that.

The first Trine is sort of like one single level of the sequel — the whole thing looked pretty much the same, the music was pretty homogenous throughout, there wasn't any variety to the enemies, and there weren't many different game mechanics beyond the basics.

In Trine 2, the visuals are not only upgraded, they're dramatically (and beautifully) different in every level, the (excellent) music changes with every level, there're more types of enemies and there's a good deal more combat, there are way more game mechanics to enjoy, the puzzles are far more varied and clever, and of course it has online co-op, which is awesome. The sequel also has a lot more replay value, partly because of the audiovisual and gameplay variety and partly because it's just a fundamentally different game with different numbers of people.

It's like the first game was just a proof of concept for the second, or the first, solid as it was, was made by talented kids who were just getting out of school and the second is the work of mature, experienced developers. The first game was good, but the second is so much better that it makes the first look bad by comparison.

My only regret is that they replaced the collectible artifacts which gave the characters powerups in the first game with collectible concept art and poems. The art is cool and the poems are dumb-funny, but the loot was way cooler. Getting rid of the energy bar and energy potions was a good idea, though. Having to husband your energy in the first game got in the way of trying different things out and just plain having fun, and with the additional combat and tougher and more varied puzzles, it would've been even more onerous.

Well, OK, I also kind of sort of regret that the trophies are all so ridiculously easy to get. Maybe they went too far with making the platinum incredibly tough in Trine, but you can apparently get it in Trine 2 like two thirds of the way through the game, which is just silly.

Those small quibbles aside, it's easily downloadable-game-of-the-year material. Highest recommendations.
Macrocephalus
HK-47

Postby BigBadBob113 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:39 pm

I'm still a little confused about how the trophies unlock in co-op. When I unlocked the trophy for spinning around as the thief, everyone got it. However, when PyscIops got the one for his Hammer Bros. attack only he got it.
BigBadBob113
Proxy

Postby Macrocephalus » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:44 pm

BigBadBob113 wrote:I'm still a little confused about how the trophies unlock in co-op. When I unlocked the trophy for spinning around as the thief, everyone got it. However, when PyscIops got the one for his Hammer Bros. attack only he got it.

I think most of the trophies are supposed to unlock for everyone if anyone does what they're supposed to, but it seems a little unreliable. In my other game with someone else, I did something that unlocked a trophy, but my friend had to do it over again herself a few times to get the game to register it and give her the trophy. Probably just a bug.
Macrocephalus
HK-47

Postby RedCloud » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:59 am

I'm still looking forward to play Trine 2, as I'm waiting for it to be released in Europe...
RedCloud
Sprocket

Postby grommyfrog » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:40 am

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/04/24/playstation-plus-may-preview-free-awesomenauts-trine-2-rock-of-ages-pixeljunk-4am-beta/

Once again, I'm very happy I didn't buy this at it's release.

Trine 2 is one of this month's Free PS+ games.
grommyfrog
HK-47

Postby coldphirre » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:46 am

i'll be picking this up at that price (free!) along with the other free games as well. i'm a little confused as to why awesomenauts will be given away for free on release though. probably not a good sign. :?
coldphirre
Johnny 5

Postby Macrocephalus » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:57 am

grommyfrog wrote:http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/04/24/playstation-plus-may-preview-free-awesomenauts-trine-2-rock-of-ages-pixeljunk-4am-beta/

Once again, I'm very happy I didn't buy this at it's release.

Trine 2 is one of this month's Free PS+ games.

Huh. I wonder how much of a chilling effect PS+ is having on new game sales. I definitely don't regret buying Trine 2 at launch — I had a great time playing it with Bob and Psyclops — but I do still regret not getting it for free, if you know what I mean.
Macrocephalus
HK-47

Postby BigBadBob113 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:30 pm

coldphirre wrote:i'll be picking this up at that price (free!) along with the other free games as well. i'm a little confused as to why awesomenauts will be given away for free on release though. probably not a good sign. :?

A few games are given away free at release...the last one I can remember was Simpsons Arcade.

@Mac:
I agree. While I enjoyed being able to play it at launch, I'm bummed that I bought it only to see it go free a few months later. I really have to start taking this into account before making PSN purchases now.
BigBadBob113
Proxy

Return to Game Discussion