Amazon Starts Taxing Texas

Discuss Anything and Everything

Moderator: smurphster

11 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby Raines » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:26 am

So this month, Amazon.com started charging sales tax in Texas, because of damn politicians. Shame, since free shipping and no tax was a huge reason I use Amazon. I'll still keep buying stuff from them though. Their 2-day free shipping for Prime members is awesome.

Other states will probably push for Amazon to start charging sales tax as well, so get ready for it.
Raines
Robot

Postby Shazoo » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:25 am

we just got 1 or 2 shipping centers here in SC, no tax as of yet, hopefully that'll take a couple years if not longer to kick in. And yes I agree, Amazon prime is worth the cost.
PSN: Shazoo83
XBL: Shazoo
Steam: Shazoo - Cooperative Gamer's League
Shazoo
Proxy

Postby grommyfrog » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:50 am

Shazoo wrote:we just got 1 or 2 shipping centers here in SC, no tax as of yet, hopefully that'll take a couple years if not longer to kick in. And yes I agree, Amazon prime is worth the cost.

Amazon agreed to pay the State of Texas 200 Million dollars and start collecting sales tax earlier this year. I was wondering when it would kick in.

The Texas GOP needs that money to campaign against education and public safety organizations. It's hard to keep the prisons full if people are educated and healthy....

Spoiler: show
The same days as the settlement 200 million was ear marked by Gov. Perry for refurbishing state correctional facilities. very strange coincidence... If you don't know how Texas politics works.
grommyfrog
HK-47

Postby Silentstriderm » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:55 am

Shazoo wrote:we just got 1 or 2 shipping centers here in SC, no tax as of yet, hopefully that'll take a couple years if not longer to kick in. And yes I agree, Amazon prime is worth the cost.

I think the deal was 5 years, maybe?

I had the free Amazon Prime Student when they first ran that and really liked it. Lately, I just don't buy enough stuff to really make the price worth it, and am happy with Netflix and other streaming sites.

Looking forward to: Dungeons and Dragons, Space Hulk, Splinter Cell, GTA V, Payday 2
Silentstriderm
Johnny 5

Postby Shazoo » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:48 pm

oh yeah, amazon prime streaming was used once for the free content, and a few times for premium content. I base my value of AP on the shipping alone, I've got 3 to 4 packages coming a week of little things that I need, like a USB hub for $6 that normally sells for $15 in retail stores, plus free shipping. Generally now, if I need something, rarely do i waste the gas and stress of going to a big box store and just hit up amazon.
PSN: Shazoo83
XBL: Shazoo
Steam: Shazoo - Cooperative Gamer's League
Shazoo
Proxy

Postby smurphster » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:09 pm

Technically, you should be reporting online out-of-state sales in your taxes anyway. I'd rather pay the tax than either 1) keep track of it and report it every year, or 2) risk getting caught and have to pay fines for not paying the correct taxes.
Community Manager
Co-Optimus.com
smurphster

Postby txshurricane » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:57 pm

grommyfrog wrote:The Texas GOP needs that money to campaign against education and public safety organizations. It's hard to keep the prisons full if people are educated and healthy....

No, it's not. There's plenty of trash out there who deserve worse but get to sit in the A/C instead.
Staff Alumni
Former Editor
Co-Optimus.com
"Iron Sights"
icon by blakepro
txshurricane
HK-47

Postby Macrocephalus » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:38 am

txshurricane wrote:
grommyfrog wrote:The Texas GOP needs that money to campaign against education and public safety organizations. It's hard to keep the prisons full if people are educated and healthy....

No, it's not. There's plenty of trash out there who deserve worse but get to sit in the A/C instead.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate these periodic reminders of your true character. But thank you, from the bottom of my heart.
Macrocephalus
HK-47

Postby txshurricane » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:47 pm

Macrocephalus wrote:
txshurricane wrote:

I can't tell you how much I appreciate these periodic reminders of your true character. But thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

I can't tell you how impressed that I am that you could know someone's true character from their forum posts. But, hey, if you can't have wits and can't have confidence...at least you have that.
Staff Alumni
Former Editor
Co-Optimus.com
"Iron Sights"
icon by blakepro
txshurricane
HK-47

Postby smurphster » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:32 am

Take it elsewhere you two.
Community Manager
Co-Optimus.com
smurphster

Postby justabaldguy » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:24 am

smurphster wrote:Technically, you should be reporting online out-of-state sales in your taxes anyway. I'd rather pay the tax than either 1) keep track of it and report it every year, or 2) risk getting caught and have to pay fines for not paying the correct taxes.
That's me too. I'm too much of a nerd to feel safe otherwise. Sure, I loved not paying taxes, but fair is fair. As everyone else here has mentioned, Amazon almost always has a lower price AND broader selection than the brick and mortar stores in my area (Houston). Free shipping in two days? You bet I'll get it! I get things in and out all the time, so adding a little more for tax won't break me.
When I'm down I drive the hearse.
Usual game times: Evenings around 7PM CST, and weekends from 1-3
Current co-op goals: BORDERLANDS 2!!
justabaldguy
Decepticon

Return to Off Topic