With E3 right around the corner, IGN has received some detail on the upcoming DJ Hero game from Activision. Not much has been known about the title until now, but it appears to offer a few co-op modes.
The basic premise of the game has players mixing songs together, either two different ones or the same song. It'll use a pattern type set of icons that players must match to mix things, while at the same time allowing some freedom of expression. Instead of the usual line of scrolling notes, the game presents a circular pattern and "scratch" motions. These signify the direction in which to move the turn table, this is combined with cross fade and other options on the controller peripheral giving players some freedom in their mix.
But what about the co-op?
Currently we know there will be 10 songs designed for co-op play. What's unique is, player two isn't using another turntable, but rather a Guitar Hero controller to add to the mix. The game will also support a USB mic for MC-ing.
The rest of the songs are all available for co-op as well, though there's no details on exactly how this will work.
According to IGN DJ Hero will have over 100 license songs available for mixing.
Over 100 songs have been licensed, which will be mixed into various combinations to create over 70 unique tracks. So you're not just DJing "Feel Good Inc." by Gorillaz – you're mixing it with "Heard it Through the Grapevine" by Marvin Gaye. Professional turntablists like DJ Shadow have crafted some of these cuts. Here's a taste of the track list:
- Gorillaz' "Feel Good Inc." vs. Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through the Grapevine"
- Chuck Brown & The Souls Searchers' "Bustin' Loose" vs. The Zombies' "Time of the Season" (DJ Shadow Mix)
- David Bowie's "Let's Dance" vs. KRS-One's "Jack of Spades" (DJ Shadow Mix)
- Nirvana's "All Apologies" vs. Rick James' "Give It to Me Baby" (DJ Shadow Mix)
- Jurassic 5's "Jayou" vs. Herbie Hancock's "Rockit"
- Tears for Fears' "Shout" vs. Eric Prydz' "Pjanoo"
- Plus tracks from Beastie Boys, Beck, Blondie, Billy Squire, and more
Sounds good to me. It'd be really awesome if it let you use your Guitar Hero DLC in DJ Hero to mix and mash up. We'll be keeping an eye on this with hopefully more co-op info. All I know is there better be plenty of Oakenfold!