Indie PC twin stick shooter, Nation Red, has just received an update via Steam. The update adds an additional two players in co-op, bringing the total available to 4, as well as a host of other tweaks and balances. Along with it comes improved multiplayer support for Steam lobbies, friends list, and server browsing - making it that much easier to find co-op games. Of course...people need to actually be playing the game, something we had a hard time finding during our tests of the update.
If you haven't played Nation Red, the game is a traditional twin stick shooter where players fend off hordes of zombies. Players choose a character and unlock abilities and weapons during each mission by earning XP. The new patch actually adds a global ranking system for players to unlock additional achievements and perks for their character.
All these updates are welcome additions to a game that when it launched, originally didn't support co-op gameplay. Remember, if you're having difficulty finding players online to play with, you can always use our built in match making system to find other co-op gamers that own it. Just add the game to your list, and click the "Meet Others" link in the widget in your profile.
Here's the full patch notes:
- Added 4-player multiplayer, with full featured Steam lobbies, gamebrowsing, friends invites and chat.
- Support for 4 player classes: Apart from class attributes, classes have their preferred weapons and perk specials.
- Added the MGL 6-shot 40mm grenade launcher weapon. Tweaked the m107 sniper rifle.
- Shared XP is now selectable in 2-4 player games. Selecting this will pool all your Xp and you will level up together. The game leader can pause the game to allow everyone to select a perk. This allows for more strategic games since players won't need to quickly choose a perk while cloaked. Regular cloaked games are also available.
- In non-shared XP games, cloak will disappear as soon as a perk is chosen.
- Now uses the new driverless PhysX version. All necessary .dlls are included in the game distribution.
- Added 'static gui' option. Set this to On to have a low movement video background instead of the default video.
- Menu options improved. You no longer need to click on or near the actual text. You can navigate menus much faster.
- Increased perk choices from 5 to 7 numbered slots which can be selected by keys 1-7 so the mouse aim doesn't need to leave the game area.
- Added player level system which allows players to rank through eight levels:
- 1 private: 5 achievements / 5000 zombies killed
- 2 private first class: 10 achievements / 10000 zombies killed
- 3 specialist: 15 achievements / 50000 zombies killed / get to perk level 10
- 4 sergeant: 20 achievements / 100000 zombies killed / beat all missions once
- 5 staff sergeant: 25 achievements / 250000 zombies killed / get to perk level 15
- 6 sergeant first class: 30 achievements / 500000 zombies killed / get to perk level 20
- 7 first sergeant: 40 achievements / 750000 zombies killed / get to perk level 25
- 8 sergeant major: 50 achievements / 1 mil zombies killed / get to perk level 30
- Increased the size and tweaked the design of the Barricade map in coop.
- Added adjustable permanent Bullet Time option in Practice Mode
- Changed scoring so new high scores can be set. (Free Play and (Local) Coop Leaderboards will require a reset)
- Added new sound effects.
- Added new achievements:
- Flasher: Kill 100 zombies stunned by a flash bang in one game.
- Pyro: Set 250 zombies on fire with incendiary rounds in one game.
- One Shot: Kill 250 zombies in one game using the Rage powerup
- Merc: Complete all missions on Silver star level
- Top Dog: Complete all missions on Gold star level
- Various tweaks in boss behavior. The AK 47 boss zombie now rotates slower meaning it will be easier to anticipate his movement and avoid getting hit by his weapon fire.
- Using your last grenade won't make your player character kick as well.
- Fixed a bug where destroying barricades could cause a crash on some machines.
- Several more updates and fixes.