Pocky & Rocky, a co-op spin-off of Taito’s arcade classic Kiki Kaikai, debuted on Super NES way back in 1992. 30 years later, Natsume is ready to unleash a new sequel: Pocky & Rocky Reshrined. The new game features the same mystical Japanese-themed characters, top-down shooting action, and 2-player co-op that fans loved about the original, plus a total of five playable characters. Pocky & Rocky Reshrined is due for release on PlayStation and Switch in the Spring.
Pocky & Rocky Reshrined brings back the shrine maiden Pocky and her racoon friend, Rocku, on a new adventure to save the Nopino Goblins. These mystical goblins have long served as the series antagonists, but they’re forced into villainy by the evil sorcerer, Black Mantle. This game, like its predecessors, will be a top-down shooter.
Previous installments have offered 2-3 playable characters. This one kicks the roster up to five:
- Pocky: A shrine maiden who lives in a remote mountain shrine. She once saved the Seven Gods of Fortune, who had been kidnapped by monsters. She is a very kind girl who does not discriminate between people and monsters, but shows no mercy to those with bad hearts.
- Rocky: A raccoon who lives in the mountains behind the shrine with his fellow monsters. He is Pocky's best friend and has come down the mountain to tell her about the strange happenings in the forest.
- Ame-no-Uzume: A goddess from the Land of the Kami and founder of the shrine maidens, she lends her power to Pocky, who has wandered into her world from the future.
- Ikazuchi: Also known as a Thunder Beast, this monster weasel is feared for her tremendous power that causes intense weather changes. However, her power isn't strong enough against Black Mantle, who has taken her prisoner!
- Hotaru Gozen: An unrivaled female samurai who has been brought back to life by Black Mantle to be used as his pawn.
The actual Story Mode in Reshrined is only single-player, but two local players can team up in Free Mode. Let’s hope that Free Mode will offer a substantial experience. It also remains to be seen whether this installment will utilize twin-stick shooter controls. I sure hope so! We’ll find out when Pocky & Rocky Reshrined arrives later this Spring.
Physical PlayStation and Switch versions of Pocky & Rocky Reshrined can now be preordered at Amazon for $29.99. Strictly Limited Games will be selling both Limited and Collector’s Editions, and the game should be releasing digitally as well.
Correction: This article previously stated that the release date for the game would be March 31. The actual release window, as of this writing, is Spring 2022.