One of the few problems we had with the Astro A30 Headsets earlier this year in our review was the amount of wires required to run it in conjunction with its MixAmp. The MixAmp is the brains of the headset that give you the ability to balance game sound and voice volume as well as provide surround sound playback. Now Astro has alleviated part of the problem by creating a wireless version of the MixAmp called the MixAmp 5.8.
The MixAmp works with both the A30 and A40 headsets and is currently retailing for an introductory price of $99. It utilizes 5.8Ghz transmission so it doesn't interfere with other wireless signals.
Features of the ASTRO MixAmp™ 5.8 include:
- 7.1 channel Dolby® Surround Sound via Dolby® Pro Logic IIx decoding and Dolby® Headphone Surround Sound output
- 5.8GHz Wireless: this high-powered and secure connection operates on a spectrum relatively free from interference from other wireless devices
- Point-to-Multipoint Pairing (PtMP): pair up to 4 receivers (Rx) with 1 transmitter (Tx), providing support for up four simultaneous users with four independent voice streams on XBox 360 ™, and two independent voice streams on PlayStation® 3
- The 56374 DSP from Freescale™ allows full Dolby® Digital, Dolby Pro Logic
IIx and Dolby® Headphone processing on a single chip, offering one of the best
headphone audio experiences possible.
- Bass Expander Mode: injects a subwoofer effect into the soundstage.
- Tuned with ASTRO Audio™ technology to get the most out of games and other forms of media.
- Compatibility: plug in any headset to use the ASTRO MixAmp™ 5.8 with both PlayStation® 3 and XBox 360™ Consoles.
The really slick thing about this is the ability to pair up to four receivers with one transmitter. That mains plenty of couch co-op for mommy and daddy while baby sleeps!