In an exciting move that will please hardcore fans but sting their wallets, Epic Games and Microsoft have announced that both previously available map packs for blockbuster title Gears of War 2 will be re-released in a retail package -- Gears of War 2: All Fronts.
Furthermore, seven new multiplayer maps and a campaign extension (titled Road to Ruin) will be included, as well as some cool swag and an introduction video by Epic's Cliff Bleszinski
It has not been determined if Road to Ruin will be playable in co-op, although it is confirmed that both Marcus and Dom will be present in gameplay. However, we fully expect the new multiplayer maps to be available in the five-player co-op favorite Horde Mode.
Click "Read More" for the full press release and a quick gallery to start the hype (Cole)train.
“Gears of War® 2” Enlists 5 Million Recruits Worldwide; “Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection” Launches July 28 Unleashing All-New Campaign and Multiplayer Content
Global entertainment phenomenon launches a new assault at retail stores and Xbox LIVE this summer
“Gears of War 2,” the entertainment blockbuster of 2008, has surpassed 5 million copies sold worldwide, and the overall “Gears of War” franchise unit sales have eclipsed the 11 million unit mark. The momentum doesn’t stop there – to commemorate these milestones, Microsoft Game Studios and Epic Games will unleash the “Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection,” a value-packed compilation that combines all previous “Gears of War 2” Game Add-ons with brand new multiplayer and campaign content. Available only at retail, the new collection invades store shelves worldwide on July 28 for $19.99/£14.99/€19.99.
Included in the “Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection” is the “Gears of War 2: Dark Corners” Game Add-on, which features seven new multiplayer maps and a deleted campaign chapter titled “Road to Ruin.” In “Road to Ruin,” Marcus and Dom return to the Locust Hollow in a scene that can be played two ways, guns blazing or in all-new stealth mode.
The seven new multiplayer maps in the “Gears of War 2: Dark Corners” Game Add-on are:
- Allfathers Garden: Honor the sacred grounds of the Coalition founders in this explosive map, where powerful weapons catalyze fast and furious action at this COG landmark.
- Memorial: Set near the Eternal Flame, which pays tribute to the fallen soldiers on the battlefield, a hard-fought battle ensues at the Tomb of Unknowns. Putting their flank formation and evasive skills to the test, players will fight to control the Boomshot.
- Sanctuary: Once a peaceful ground for reflection and remembrance, all that remains of the Sanctuary is the chill of death. Feast your eyes on the arsenal of weapons available as you make your way through the tight paths and blind corners of the Locust-damaged temple corridors.
- War Machine: In the abandoned train station that once served as a hub for travel, players will need to master the Longshot, Mulcher and Boomshot weapons to advance the fight while evading fire from the platforms above.
- Highway: Take the fight deep into the Locust Hollow in the complex passages of this underground highway system brimming with enemy vermin. Stick together, separate the enemy and have an exit strategy ready or it’ll be a one-way trip.
- Way Station: Sitting in limbo between death and “processing” are Locust way stations filled with fallen COG soldiers. Tread lightly and practice patience as it’s better to sacrifice firepower for stealth while navigating this minefield of hidden grenades.
- Nowhere: Set in the middle of what was once a destination for weary desert travellers, the land is now barren and devoid of life. Pick off your enemies with the Longshot sniper rifle and make your way to the stairwell with a well-fortified team during this intense firefight.
In addition to the new content, the “Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection” also contains every “Gears of War 2” Game Add-on released to date, including the classic “Flashback” Map Pack, volatile “Combustible” Map Pack and the winter-themed “Snowblind” Map Pack. Also included is an introduction to “Road to Ruin” from Epic Games design director Cliff Bleszinski, along with a custom Xbox LIVE theme, collectible “Gears of War 2” poster and a strategy guide. Containing over 3,600 Microsoft Points worth of content, the “Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection” is an incredible value at $19.99.
Already enjoying the previously released “Gears of War 2” collection of map packs? Available day-and-date with “Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection” via download from Xbox LIVE Marketplace, the “Dark Corners” Game Add-on will be available separately for 1,600 MS Points.
“Gears of War 2” is available exclusively on Xbox 360 and is rated “M” for Mature by the ESRB and PEGI 16+. “Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection” and “Gears of War 2: Dark Corners” will be available in LIVE-enabled regions worldwide, where “Gears of War 2” is available. For more information about “Gears of War 2,” visit GearsofWar.com.