Gearbox's PAX East panel wrapped a little bit ago and if you've been eagerly awaiting more Borderlands news... You're in luck! Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition is headed to the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC next week.
This remastered version of the game includes a number of enhancements and tweaks:
- Visual Remaster: a fresh coat of paint over everything (lighting, textures, characters) with 4K and HDR on PS4 Pro and Xbox One
- QOL Improvements: a lot of things that were implemented in Borderlands 2 are making their way into this version, including the mini-map, better inventory management (mark things as "junk" or lock them), and auto pick-up health, money, and ammo
- SHiFT Integration: you'll now be able to redeem SHiFT codes in-game to get Golden Keys that are used to unlock Golden Chests, which typically contain at least one legendary piece of gear. Speaking of, if you played Borderlands 2 or Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel on Xbox One, PS4, or PC, then you'll get 75 Golden Keys (and two guns) for free when you launch GOTY
- Character Heads and Skins: you'll be able to customize the look of your Vault Hunter with new options for heads/skins, similar to Borderlands 2 and The Pre-Sequel
- Four Player Couch Co-Op on Consoles: the original game only supported two player couch co-op, and now they're doubling the number (on consoles)! Combo co-op is also supported so you can have three people on one console join up with a distant buddy online, or two folks on one join another two on another; as long as the total number of players equals four, you're good. While PC players don't get couch co-op, the good news for them is...
- PC Players That Already Own Borderlands On Steam Get This Free: no need to buy this again, if you've got the original Borderlands sitting around in your Steam library, go ahead and download/install it, wait for April 3 to roll around, and enjoy! As PC Gamer confirmed, this applies to the base game version; doesn't matter if you own any of the DLC or the GOTY version that's also for sale.
I was kind of wondering when they'd get around to doing a remaster of the original Borderlands, and it's nice to see some of the tweaks/improvements they're making. The game will be available on April 3, 2019 for PS4, Xbox One, and PC. Physical editions are available for the consoles, but PC is digital only.