"Countryballs" is an art style/meme in which countries are depicted as flag-adorned balls. It's also the basis for Bang-On Balls: Chronicles, a Steam Early Access game that is also coming to Xbox later this year. Where else can 4 players team up online to roll and platform through historically themed levels?
Bang-On Balls is a 3D platformer in which country-themed characters roll, jump, and fight their way through expansive levels. It features:
- Glorious 3D Ball-Banging platforming action as you become a reckless hero in a series of (slightly inaccurate) historical-based events!
- Vast open stages to explore, each set in a different time period, with fun items and weapons to collect to give you an edge during combat...or just to destroy your environment!
- Pick your own country, customize your character and play with incredible next-gen, state-of-the-art, highly advanced… uhhmm… balls.
- Grow, shrink, smash, bash down the environment, the world is your destructible playground!
- Beautifully stylized graphics. Balls were never so shiny before!
- Stand out with your look in up to 4 ball-friends multiplayer, while helping out each other complete unique challenges.
- Loosely inspired by a worldwide phenomenon called memes. Are you familiar with the concept? We love it.
- It teaches history. Well, kinda… Not really… But it has historical levels!
As if the cooperative platforming wasn't exciting enough, Developer Exit Plan has announced two new minigames coming soon to the Steam game:
- Ultimate Bang-On Mega Bricks: Stuck inside a tetroid brick world, you must survive the 99 challenges in order to receive the ultimate reward.
- Super Car Banger Turbo: A banging tribute to one of the most famous bonus stages in videogame history, mixed with our own flavor of ball-banging mayhem!
Additionally, a new level based on the historical "Space Race" is set to be added in October.
Bang-On Balls: Chronicles is now available on Steam Early Access for $14.99. It will be released on Xbox Game Preview (the Xbox version of Early Access) later this year. This game looks pretty fun, but that title doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, does it?
Update: The Xbox version did not release in 2021. Here's hoping for an early 2022 release!