Retro properties are decently hot stuff nowadays, with lots of classic shows and movies coming back in one way or another. Last year, we got a Garbage Pail Kids game from Retrotainment, for instance, complete with NES-style graphics but missing co-op. This year, a new Toxic Crusaders game is coming to modern consoles and PC courtesy of Retroware (not to be confused with Retrotainment), and it will feature 4-player local co-op to boot! I never expected to write that, but I'm not complaining.
Toxic Crusaders started out in 1991 as a 13-episode animated series based on Troma's rowdy (and terrible) Toxic Avenger films. The show gave Toxie, the original grossly green avenger, a posse of misfits with whom to fight the forces of pollution. It was adapted into an action platformer game for NES, GameBoy, and Sega Genesis (the only version with co-op) in 1992. A Super NES version was cancelled, and that was it for the Toxic Crusaders... until now.
Retroware's new Toxic Crusaders game is a beat 'em up featuring 7 playable characters: Toxie, No-Zone, Junkyard, Major Disaster, and Headbanger, plus Toxie's girlfriend Yvonne and "the mother of all mothers," Mrs. Junko. The team will battle their nemesis, Dr. Kilemoff, and his evil Smogulan Empire in 7 distinct levels.
- The triumphant return of the Toxic Crusaders, just when we needed them most!
- Pulse-pounding beat 'em up action for up to four player local co-op
- Gorgeous full-color pixel art graphics
- A stunning soundtrack that'll make you party like it's 1992
- Amazing comic book cutscenes featuring the voices of TeamFourStar (DragonBall Z Abridged)
- Seven playable characters, each with their own unique moves and powers
- Seven unique stages taking you from the streets of Tromaville to Planet Smogula and beyond!
- Surprise cameos (each more surprising than the last) from across the Troma Cinematic Universe!
The announcement trailer features a new metal-style song.
Toxic Crusaders will sell for $24.99 when it arrives on Xbox, PlayStation, Switch, and Steam in late 2023.