We love when a new developer comes out swinging, and that's just what New Zealand-based Space Rock Games is doing. Composed of industry veterans who have worked on the Fable series, Path of Exile, and Chivalry 2, Space Rock Games is going all in on co-op. Their first game, Criminals Within, is a medieval fantasy action game with 2-player split-screen and online co-op, and it's coming to both PC and consoles.
The announcement trailer for Criminals Within reveals a charming and colorful art style reminiscent of Dreamworks movies and Epic's Fortnite. The game stars a pair of bumbling but capable pair of heroes: one a royal guard and the other a burglar. Together, they must rescue a missing prince and discover the cause of a mysterious disease that threatens their kingdom.
- Experience asymmetric co-op multiplayer, where each player takes on a unique role in the adventure.
- Engage in skill-based combat, where strategic thinking and quick reflexes are the keys to victory.
- Take on epic boss battles, facing off against formidable foes that will test your mettle.
- Work together to solve cooperative puzzles, utilizing each character's strengths to overcome challenges.
- Enjoy lighthearted comedy that will keep you laughing and engaged throughout your journey.
- Customize your character's appearance with a variety of player cosmetics.
Interestingly, Criminals Within will be cooperative only, so single players need not apply. The Steam version of Criminals Within will feature 2-player split-screen, LAN, and online co-op, so the console versions should at least support split-screen and online multiplayer. Teaming up as two unique characters, each with distinct strengths and weaknesses, looks like it should make for an enjoyable adventure.
Criminals Within is being developed with Unreal Engine 5. It will be released on consoles (which we assume to mean Xbox, PlayStation, and Switch) and Steam at some point in the future. Let's hope for a 2023 release!