The world of twin-stick shooters has (largely) been dominated by two themes: zombies and bright, neon, flashy, trance, hangononeminutehavingaseizure polygons. Well, no more. Prepare thyself for Vikings with guns in Gunnheim!
Set in a world of Viking and Norse mythology, Gunnheim allows up to four players to team up (either locally or online) in order to battle the demonic forces that have been unleashed by the Lord of Death. It's not what you think, though; old death lord there didn't release them because he is seeking vengeance against the world of living. Nope, he's busy getting drunk and not paying attention to what his minions are doing.
The game is still in the pre-Alpha stage of development, but the developers have already outlined their big goals for the game:
- Join forces with up to 4 players or go solo in an epic quest to save the world – Local or Online co-op
- Reveal the story by completing episodes & unique boss fights – Select the episode and let the bullets fly
- Player awarding unlock system – Slay bosses for temporary skill boosts and receive permanent unlocks from completing the game
- Superior low-poly graphics combined with intense gore – Damn straight!
- Diverse set of playable characters – Each with unique weapon, special ability & unlocks
- No pixel art. No puzzles – And most importantly No zombies
If you still need some convincing, check out the game's first trailer.
There's no set release date for the game yet, just roughly "autumn 2015" at this point. You can follow the game's progress on their Greenlight page.