Drinkbox Studios, the developers of the Guacamelee series, released Nobody Saves the World as a timed Xbox and PC exclusive earlier this year. A lighthearted fantasy-RPG, Nobody Saves the World stars a character named Nobody who can shapeshift into various forms. Now that time has passed, the game has finally arrived on PlayStation and Switch. As if that wasn't cool enough, all versions of Nobody Saves the World now have local co-op in addition to the 2-player online co-op that the Xbox and PC games started with.
Nobody Saves the World begins with the protagonist, Nobody, waking up alone (or with a co-op partner) in his dilapidated shack. Upon venturing into town, he quickly learns that the town's chief wizard, has been kidnapped. A quick misunderstanding later, and our hero finds himself in the wizard's dungeon. From there, he'll have to defeat lots of monsters, meet silly characters, complete lots of quests, clear his name, and save the world!
The difficulty in this game is a bit on the hard side, so recruiting a fellow adventurer can be helpful. To initiate local co-op, just hit a button on a second controller. A duplicate Nobody will drop right in. Fighting alongside a partner definitely makes things easier and more fun, but it's not quite a perfect experience.
As with any action-RPG, players will often need to visit menus to check quests, inventory, the map, etc. When a player enters the menus in this game, the other player can't do anything else - even when playing online. In a local game, it's understandable that the menus will take up the full screen and stop the action for both players. Online co-op, though, really should let the player who didn't open the menu continue about his or her business. We'd love to see Drinkbox address this issue in a future update.
Nobody Saves the World features:
- Transform into MANY FORMS: Unlock 15+ distinct Forms, from Rat to Rogue to Robot, each with its own unique gameplay mechanics.
- Mix & Match ABILITIES: Combine over 80 Form abilities to create powerful customized builds. Play as an Egg that can leave a trail of slime and shoot fireballs!!! We can't stop you!
- Unconventional QUESTS: Help the strange inhabitants of this world deal with their troubles. Each Form also has its own set of quests, which you can complete in creative ways.
- Evolving Dungeons: As you become stronger, procedurally generated dungeons increase in difficulty and complexity to keep you on your toes.
- Local & Online Co-op: Invite a friend to play through all, or part, of your adventure together!
- Awesome Soundtrack: New original music by acclaimed composer Jim Guthrie.
- New Game Plus: Put your Forms and abilities to the test against leveled-up enemies and dungeons with remixed difficulty modifiers.
Menu issues aside, this is a very clever and unique take on the "fantasy hero must stop the apocalypse" trope, and changing into numerous forms is quite fun too.