If your summer has been going a little too slow, we've got some good news for you. Sonic Origins, the collection of Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3, Sonic and Knuckles, and Sonic CD, is here. It's an exciting collection because its super-speedy 2D platformers have all been remade in a new engine that adds widescreen support and other enhancements. As always, Sonic 2 features 2-player local co-op, and Knuckles is even playable now.
Sonic Origins features the following games:
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (2-player local co-op)
- Sonic 3 & Knuckles
- Sonic CD
The collection's features at a glance:
- Classic Mode: Go old school with the Classic Mode and experience the multi-game collection of legacy Sonic games in their retro form with classic challenges. This mode features the original game presentation and will play in the classic finite live and game over style.
- Anniversary Mode: The Anniversary Mode provides a full screen display and offers players an infinite number of lives to keep the fun going without any game overs.
- Missions, Medallions and Museum: Put your skills to the test and earn medallions by competing for various missions throughout the games. Players can spend medallions to unlock new content from the vault, try the Special Stage and more.
- Reset, Reloaded and Remastered: All-new visual presentation, animation, and enhancements for the current generation. Experience the excitement as Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles.
Early reviews have criticized the value that Sonic Origins delivers for its $40-45 price tag, whereas some fans have complained about Sonic 3 featuring a few alternate music tracks. Those issues aside, the anniversary modes really do sound like the best way to play all of these games. Gamers can always wait for a sale if the price looks too high.