Total War: Shogun 2 is a pretty amazing strategy game, combining turn-based planning and diplomacy with amazingly huge-scale real-time strategy battles. It also features a great co-op campaign for two players. There is much more co-op strategic warfare awesomeness to come, as Sega has announced Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai, a full standalone expansion pack.
Fall of the Samurai is based around the same period of time as the Tom Cruise epic The Last Samurai. The modern world is encroaching on feudal Japan. The Emperor’s camp wants to modernize, while the Shogunate wishes to keep things the same. A most interesting conflict, to be sure. Players will be able to choose either side as they participate in the battle for Japan’s future, the Boshin War.
New features in Fall of the Samurai include:
- Six new playable clans
- Three foreign powers to deal with: America, Britain, and France
- Expanded and improved campaign map
- New building and technology trees
- Railways and naval bombardments
- New units and abilities (139 new land units, 10 new ships)
- Three new agent types on the campaign map
- Four new historical scenarios
- New siege-battle mechanics
- Improved multiplayer
Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai is scheduled to release in March of 2012. It will not require the original Total War: Shogun 2 to play.