Not to be left behind by Sony's push to welcome indie games/developers to the PS4 fold, Microsoft recently released a list of indie games that would be making their way to the Xbox One console as part of the ID@Xbox program. Many of these are games that have been out on PC or some other platform for a little while and are now getting ported over to the next gen console. Perhaps the best news for us co-op lovers is that a handful of these titles embrace the cooperative spirit!
The co-op games that were specifically mentioned in the list are:
- “1001 Spikes” by Nicalis – This hardcore side-scroller features precise controls and a degree of difficulty that means starting with 1001 lives is not at all a guarantee you can make it through the game! Every level is custom designed to be beaten… barely. The game also includes co-op and cutthroat multiplayer modes.
- "CastleStorm” by Zen Studios – It’s Knights vs. Vikings in “CastleStorm,” a super genre mash-up of 2D physics destruction mashed with tower defense brawler! “CastleStorm” features a story-driven solo campaign, a custom castle editor, online multiplayer, co-op modes, and more.
- “Chariot” by Frima – “Chariot” is a humorous physics-based couch co-op platformer in which a brave princess and her suitor carry a funeral wagon through ancient mines, fending off swarms of looters while amassing riches, to bury the King’s remains in a worthy gold-filled tomb.
- “Forced” by BetaDwarf ApS – One- to four-player co-op arcade adventure with puzzles and tactical elements. You are cast as slaves in the toughest fantasy gladiator school of them all, condemned to fight as a gladiator and eventually win your freedom.
- “Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition” by DrinkBox Studios – “Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition” is an action-packed, 2D brawler/platformer that alternates between the worlds of the living and the dead.
A full list of all indie games that will be making their way to the Xbox One games store can be found here.