Contra: Operation Galuga is the next entry in Konami's longrunning Contra series of run-and-gun shooters. We recently interviewed WayForward about the upcoming game, learning lots of cool development and gameplay details. Still, WayForward had even more tricks up its sleeve, as the developer has just released a new trailer and announced even more exciting information about Operation Galuga, including additional playable characters and modes.
These playable characters will be unlockable via Story Mode:
- Bill Rizer: Field leader of the Contra unit, possessing exceptional physical strength, agility, and mental fortitude. Proficient in all manner of armaments and well-versed in military science.
- Lance Bean: An expert marksman adept with machinery. Was active as a guerrilla fighter before being recruited into the Earth Marine Corps by Bill Rizer.
- Ariana: A tremendously skilled warrior from the Galuga Archipelago. After her village was nearly wiped out by Red Falcon's attack, she wages a one-woman war against the enemy forces.
- Lucia: Deputy commander in the Earth Marine Corps and also a talented field operative. She is equally proficient at combat missions and covert intelligence.
- Lt. Stanley Ironside: A veteran who leads an armored platoon in the GX Army. He wears a powered Hercules exosuit to supplement his already formidable combat skills.
- Probotector: Autonomous training robots used by the Contra Unit. Utilizing cutting-edge tech, they are every bit as capable in the field as their human counterparts.
We already knew about most of these characters, but Lt. Stanley Ironside hadn't been previously announced. Due to his armor, he looks sort of like a big Probotector.
As for modes, Story and Arcade modes were already announced. The new game type is Challenge Mode. It will contains 30 stages with tasks such as speedrunning through stages, fighting with limited ammo, surviving relentless enemy hordes, and more.
Finally, the newly revealed Perk Shop will allow players to use in-game credits to unlock a variety of perks. Up to two perks can be equipped at a time. These include upgraded character abilities, starting stages with specific weapons, increasing invulnerability after respawning, and more. Let's hope these perks are more helpful than those of Hard Corps Uprising, an Xbox 360-era game in the series.