Sins of a Solar Empire is a game that's as complicated as it is beautiful. Its what I like to call space porn - and for anyone thats ever played the game its hard to argue with the incredible visuals the game provides. Like i said though, its a complicated and deep game, but once you get past the learning curve its incredibly enjoyable - especially in co-op.
After several "micro-expansions" for the core game, Stardock and Iron Clad have announced the first major expansion, one that's stand-alone, called Rebellion. Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion takes place after diplomacy failed in the uh...Diplomacy... expansion. Because of this new factions are born from a splintered empire.
There's no details yet on if the co-op multiplayer is changed at all, but there is a new list of features for the game. Highlights include improved graphics, new ships and technology, and of course new factions to play as.
· New Factions: Players decide whether to become Loyalists or Rebels, which unlocks a unique new tech tree granting them new technologies and ship variants.
· New Titan-class ships: Massive warships for each race that dwarf capital ships, these deadly new monsters are capable of wiping out entire enemy fleets single-handedly.
· New Capital Ships: A new capital ship class arrives, giving players new strategic options.
· New Corvette-class ships: Small, highly maneuverable light ships that are adept at a variety of tasks.
· Loyalist and Rebel versions of some of the existing Sins’ frigates and cruisers, each with their own unique strengths and weaknesses.
· Updated lighting and particle effects for enhanced visuals.
· New Victory Conditions to allow for more variety, differing strategies and shorter game sessions.
· Additional capital ship ability levels, for greater strategic choice.
· Impulse::Reactor support for chat, friends, achievements and more.
Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is a stand alone expansion is set to launch in the fourth quarter of this year. Owners of the previous game can purchase it for $29.95 while the cost to everyone else is $39.95.