Digital Extremes' long-running free-to-play action title, Warframe, is receiving quite the impressive update this week. While the Canadian developer has been releasing story/event updates with some regularity, the "Plains of Eidolon" update is a whole new undertaking. Space ninjas can now explore an entirely open-zone area complete with a city hub, vendors, enemies to fight, and gigantic foes to overcome.
This feels like Digital Extremes' first steps into transitioning Warframe into more of a shooter/MMO hybrid as the update brings it with some of those features most commonly associated with titles in the MMO genre (i.e., quest-givers, a social hub, non-combat activities like fishing). It's an ambitious step, as so much of the game is centered around taking on discreet missions with friends and, more-or-less, grinding away at those. With the addition of an open area where players can accept different quests, experience a full day/night cycle, interact with vendors and NPCs, and take on bigger/tougher foes (the Eidolons), there's more to see and do, which is enticing to long-time fans and newcomers alike.
There' a bit more coming with this update other than the Plains area. Here's a full list:
- Debut of the Deadly Warrior: Witness the introduction of the 34th Warframe, Gara, who manipulates glass to fracture the resolve of her enemies. Gara's unique Abilities comprise Shattered Lash, which thrusts forward a deadly glass blade, or performs a 180-degree sweep, damaging anyone in its path; Splinter Storm, which surrounds her target with swirling shards of glass; Spectrorage, which creates a ring of mirrors around a target area, and Mass Vitrify: an Ability that expands a ring of molten glass slowly crystallizing enemies who enter.
- New Weapons: Gara wields a new arsenal of powerful weapons, including:
- Astilla: The deadly Astilla shoots slugs that explode on impact, dispersing lethal glass shards in all directions
- Volnus: The heavy Volnus deals a large amount of damage and can beat enemies to a pulp, providing you have the strength to wield it
- Fusilai: The stealthy glass shurikens pierce through flesh and armor, taking down enemies unheard
- New Reinforcements:
- Argonak: Pick off targets by highlighting distant enemies using this Grineer rifle's advanced laser sighting system. Deadly in both single fire and automatic modes
- Krohkur: This hooked blade rewards critical hits to those skilled enough to strike with finesse
- Dual Krohkur: Battlefield butchery becomes all too easy with a Korhkur blade in each hand
- Fashionista: Indulge your Fashion Frame sensibilities with the Virago Helmet and Gara's new signature Hyalus Syandana. All of Gara's components can currently be found in-game while her Blueprint will arrive in a Quest later this month
- Focus 2.0: Experience the reintroduction of the Operator-Warrior Focus Rework 2.0. This new system changes the Skill Tree to be more combat-focused, enabling you to equip your Operator with distinct Weapons and Armor found deep in the Caves of the Plains
More info on what's new with this update can be found on the official Warframe website.
If you're curious what all of this looks like in action, enjoy this 22 minute gameplay video from the devs as they show off the Plains, the city hub of Cetus, and one of the mysterious and deadly Eidolons.
The "Plains of Eidolon" update arrives for PC this week, and will hit PlayStation 4 and Xbox One next month. Warframe is available now on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One as a free-to-play title and supports four player online co-op throughout.