Released to arcades way back in 1991 before migrating to consoles, Joe & Mac: Caveman Ninja is a classic 2D platformer starring two heroic cavemen who must rescue kidnapped damsels from evil cavemen and gigantic dinosaurs. 30 years later, Microids and Mr. Nutz Studio are unleashing an HD remake called New Joe & Mac: Caveman Ninja on all platforms. The PlayStation and Switch versions will launch digitally on November 24, followed by retail releases and digital Xbox and PC versions in December. Like the original, the remake will feature 2-player local co-op!
New Joe & Mac: Caveman Ninja features:
- MAKE YOUR WAY through this PRE-HYSTERICAL JUNGLE: Run, jump and fight through varied side-scrolling 2D stages in a true arcade game style
- A BRAND NEW DESIGN: Experience a full and faithful remake of the arcade original game with new graphics, new sounds, and better control for an unprecedented experience
- NEW MODES: 2 modes are on the menu, the arcade Mode (Remake) and an extended mode that will bring you a longer game experience.
- CO-OP MODE: One pre-historical dude may be not enough; ask a friend to play with you to share a stronger adventure.
- EACH MODE WILL HAVE NEW FEATURES: a training mode, a boss rush mode, a score attack mode and, to play faster than ever, a speedrun mode!
Gameplay is similar to that of a run-and-gun platformer, with the protagonists wielding a variety of stone-age weapons, all of which can be charged up for extra damage. The original Joe & Mac is famous for its gigantic, colorful bosses that include dinosaurs, carnivorous plants, mammoths, and more. The same foes will return in the new game, now drawn in a more cartoon-like art style reminiscent of Asterix & Obelix: Slap Them All, which comes from the same publisher and developer combo. Microids Records even released the soundtrack ahead of time, and it's very good!
Last but not least, the physical "T-Rex Edition" is also now available at Amazon for $39.99 for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, and Switch. Included in the T-Rex Edition are the game, 2 sticker sheets, one trading card, and a 3D keychain.