When the Neo Geo Mini arrived in 2018, it kicked off a wave of miniature arcade cabinets that continues to this day. Although the unit featured a fairly good built-in arcade stick and buttons, the optional controllers were widely criticized for their lack of microswitches and inauthentic button layout. Five years later, 8Bitdo will finally offer a much better control option with its upcoming 8Bitdo NEOGEO Wireless Controller. The new controller will work with the NeoGeo Mini, PC, and mobile.
- A perfect recreation of the original SNK NEOGEO controller
- Iconic classic click-style joystick
- Added bumpers, Turbo functions, and button layout swap
- Bluetooth (for Android only), 2.4G wireless, or wired connectivity
- Compatible with Windows and NEO GEO Mini via 2.4G adapter/USB cable, and Android via Bluetooth
- Officially licensed by SNK
The controller certainly looks like it will be great, with "clicky" (microswitched?) joystick and original Neo Geo button layout. It will be perfect for playing the Neo Geo Mini or Neo Geo games for PC and mobile.
As for the Neo Geo Mini, it's no longer in production but can still be purchased online. The International version of the unit features 40 games, including such co-op classics as Metal Slug 1-5, Shock Troopers 1 and 2, and Sengoku 3. Get the International or Asian versions of the Neo Geo Mini for approximately $60 each at Amazon.
The 8Bitdo NEOGEO Wireless Controller is available to preorder in multiple editions at Amazon. The plain Black Edition sells for $34.99, whereas character editions featuring Terry Bogard, Mai Shiranui, and others cost $39.99 each. These controllers will be released on August 15.