October is a traditionally scary month, full of all manner of haunts and frights. There's no need for Steam and Switch gamers to be afraid of ghosts (or is that "no ghosts"?) now, thankfully, because Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed has finally arrived on both platforms! The PC version was previously Epic exclusive, and poor Switch was just completely haunted until now. Both of the new versions support full cross-play with the existing Xbox, PlayStation, and Epic games, thankfully.
Spirits Unleashed is a first-person, multiplayer-focused game. The story is set in the modern day, many years after the first two Ghostbusters films. You play as a new recruit who has just joined the team. Winston and Ray (each voiced by their original actors) now run the Ghostbusters but stay out of the field, hence players must take over the actual ghostbusting.
After completing the fully voiced, single-player tutorial set in Ray's bookstore and the Ghostbusters' fire house, players are free to join online games. Spirits Unleashed is inspired by asymmetrical multiplayer games like Dead by Daylight, with up to four ghostbusters teaming up against a single player who controls the malevolent ghosts. The game supports proper co-op, though, allowing the team to face off against AI ghosts if they prefer.
Since first launching on Xbox and PlayStation last year, Spirits Unleashed has just been updated to become the "Ecto Edition." The following new content is included with all versions of the game:
- Main Narrative Story Expansion - several new story acts to the narrative progression of Spirits Unleashed. New twists and turns give the occupants of the Firehouse a new, challenging adversary to contend with, along with new conversations to have. Level up to unlock and enjoy the updated and extended narrative.
- New Ghosts:
- Overlord Ghost Type
- Overlord - Samhain Variant
- Overlord - Darklock Variant
- Overlord - Gravebringer Variant
- 2 New Maps -
- Petey's Pirate Cove
- Galway Station
- Ghost Bounties
- Character and Gear Loadouts
- New Gear Shells to Unlock
- New Cosmetics and Added Tenure Level
- Countless UX, UI, Gameplay Improvements, and MORE!
The Switch version, we're told, uses dynamic scaling to run at up to 720p in handheld mode and 1080p at 30 frames per second in TV mode. IllFonic, the developer, seems to have done a lot of optimization to get the game to work well on Nintendo's aging handheld system.
Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed sells for $19.99 on Xbox, PlayStation, Switch, Steam, and Epic. All versions but the Switch port are on sale for $14.99 off through October 26, so hurry up, get the game, and get busting!