Back in June, Sega announced that Sonic Superstars would be the first Sonic the Hedgehog game with 4-player co-op. Now the game is finally here, and up to four local players can team up and go on a 2.5D platforming adventure as Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy. We're always excited for a new Sonic game, but the co-op support makes this one so much more exciting.
Sonic Superstars features:
- A new Spin on a Classic: The 2D Sonic high-speed sidescrolling action platforming you know and love, reimagined with fully 3D graphics, new powers and abilities, an all-new setting, and new ways to play! You’ve never played classic Sonic like this before!
- Play as your Favorite Characters: Choose from Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy and take advantage of their unique abilities to blaze a path across the Northstar Islands as they race to defeat Dr. Eggman, who has teamed up with an old nemesis, Fang, and a mysterious new armored adversary.
- Harness the Power of the Chaos Emeralds: Multiply, swim up waterfalls, change form, and more with the powers of the Chaos Emeralds.
- More Friends, More Fun: For the first time ever in a Sonic game, play through the entire campaign with up to 3 other players with drop-in and drop-out 4-Player Local Co-op.
- Challenge Players From Around the World: Compete locally or online with up to 8 players in the all-new Battle Mode!
Fans are generally divided on modern Sonic games, but this one seems to be doing well enough at Metacritic. It currently has a 7.5 Metascore from critics and a 9.1 user score, the latter of which is quite good. Steam reviews are generally favorable, but complaints about the level design and pace of the game aren't uncommon. If Sega had sent us a review code, we'd be reviewing this one ourselves!
Sonic Superstars sells for $59.99 on Xbox, PlayStation, Switch, Steam, and Epic. The digital deluxe edition costs $10 more and includes: LEGO Fun Pack, Sonic Rabbit Skin, Mecha Sonic Skin for Battle Mode, Bonus Main Menu Wallpapers, Digital Artbook, and Mini Original Soundtrack.